This half-day Tracheostomy Care Training course is suitable for all for nurses and carers throughout the industry.
This course introduces delegates to the reasons for tracheostomies and their care management. The course aims to ensure nurses and carers have the knowledge and skills to provide top quality, safe and effective care of the tracheostomy and equipment, using a special mannequin and general equipment. Where required, the course can be tailored to include a client’s own equipment, policies and procedures.
- Anatomy and physiology
- Indications for tracheostomy
- Types of tracheostomy
- Complication identification and reporting procedures
- Dressings and cleaning procedures
- Managing and changing inner cannula tubes
- Communication and promotion of dignity in care
- Suctioning procedures and protocols
- Record keeping
- Procedures for full tube changes
- Guidelines for emergency management (inc. resuscitation)
- Practical session with a mannequin
In order to successfully complete this course, learners will be required to complete a multiple-choice question and answer paper and evidence practical competency (using the mannequin and equipment) to the trainer