Learning Disabilities Awareness
This half-day Learning Disabilities Awareness course is suitable for all nurses and carers.
This half day course is designed for nursing, care and support staff who want an introduction to Learning Disabilities. Staff may work with patients or service users who have a Learning Disability on an ad-hoc basis when they enter their current service, or for those considering working directly with people with a Learning Disability. The training is reinforced with a full handout, containing links to useful organisations and additional information.
- Learning Disabilities Statistics, Descriptions and Causes
- The Differences Between Learning Disabilities and Mental Health Conditions – Depression, Dementia etc.
- Levels of Learning Disabilities
- Previous ‘Care’ Models, Person Centred Planning and the Supporting Role
- Transforming Care Programme and the Next Steps (Bubb Report)
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders, Autism and Aspergers
- Defining Features and Possible Behaviours
- Turner’s Syndrome, Down’s Syndrome, Fragile X Syndrome, Prada-Willi Syndrome, Rett Syndrome
- Foetal Alcohol Syndrome, Landau Kleffner Syndrome
- Challenging Behaviour