Dysphagia Awareness and Care
This half day CPD course explores the physiology of swallowing, recognising and reducing the possibility of choking and aspiration, and the practical ways carers can assist people living with swallowing issues to promote ‘safer swallowing strategies’.
Abuka uses an anatomically-correct cross-section model to demonstrate the swallowing function and discuss a range of practical techniques. Question and answer pages during the training reinforce knowledge and understanding.
- Anatomy, physiology and the stages of the swallowing function
- Reasons for dysphagia
- Identifying swallowing problems
- Choking risk assessments
- Specialist interventions as required
- Person-centred care and practical ways to assist people with swallowing
- Food texturising and drink thickening
- Promoting respect and dignity
- Substitutes for oral feeds