Care Home Assistant Practitioner (CHAPs)
This 12-week CHAPs (Care Home Assistant Practitioner) training programme is aimed to equip senior staff within your care practice with clinical and management skills. It adheres to many aspects of a registered nursing course. The new CHAPs role allows healthcare professionals to work alongside nursing colleagues and take on additional responsibilities, creating a solution to the national shortage of nurses experienced across the care sector.
The CHAPs programme is delivered over 12 consecutive weeks, with one face to face training day per week. During this time, those enrolled on the programme will complete the following:
Face to face, fully practical training*:
- Diabetes , Blood Sugar Monitoring and Insulin Administration
- Advanced Infection Control
- Pressure Ulcer Prevention, Tissue Viability and Wound Care, including Dressings
- Risk Assessment & Management in Care
- Clinical Observations and National Early Warning Score (NEWS)
- Medication Administration and Management
- End of Life Care and Syringe Driver Awareness
- Dysphagia and Safe Swallowing Strategies
- Enteral Administration
- Record Keeping & Communication
- Stoma Care
- Oral Suctioning
- Catheter Care
- Basic Life Support and Recognition of Deterioration
- Common Conditions in Older Adults (eg. dementia, Parkinson’s disease, visual impairments, asthma and epilepsy)
- Portfolio Submission and Final Exam
* The CHAPs Programme is fully customisable for local delivery and topics can reasonably be replaced, added-to or removed in line with local policy. Please speak to us about assistance in this regard.
Portfolio Submission and Final Exam
Workbook assessments covering:
- Reflective Practice
- Further Independent Study
- Classroom Competency
- Final Theory Examination
All delegates are encouraged to attend all 12 sessions, in order that they do not fall behind with their portfolios, although it is understood that holidays and sickness etc. may prevent this. We have made provision for “catch up” sessions and workbook completion and ask that delegates let the trainer know as soon as possible if they cannot attend any sessions. Following the 12 week course, Abuka can also assist with workplace competency sign-offs if required.
Successful completion of this training course will result in the award of a CPD accredited certificate covering all aspects of the above course contents.
CHAPs Enrolment Details
In order to enrol on one of these programmes, you will need to download the below Enrolment Form (PDF), print, complete in full and scan back to email@example.com