Care Home Assistant Practitioner (CHAPs)
This 12-week CHAPs (Care Home Assistant Practitioner) training programme is aimed to equip senior staff within your care practice with clinical and management skills. It adheres to many aspects of a registered nursing course. The new CHAPs role allows healthcare professionals to work alongside nursing colleagues and take on additional responsibilities, creating a solution to the national shortage of nurses experienced across the care sector.
The CHAPs programme is delivered over 12 consecutive weeks, with one day face to face training day per week. During this time, those enrolled on the programme will complete the following:
Face to face, fully practical training*:
- Diabetes, Blood Sugar Monitoring and Insulin
- Infection Control
- Pressure Ulcer Prevention, Tissue Viability and
- Wound Care, including Dressings
- Risk Assessment & Management in Care
- Clinical Observations and National Early Warning Score (NEWS)
- Medication Administration and Management
- T34 Syringe Driver
- Dysphagia and Safe Swallowing Strategies
- Enteral Administration
- Record Keeping & Communication
- Stoma Care
- Oral Suctioning
- Catheter Care
- Basic Life Support
- Venepuncture and Cannulation
* The CHAPs Programme is fully customisable for local delivery and topics can reasonably be replaced, added-to or removed in line with local policy. Please speak to us about assistance in this regard.
Portfolio Submission and Final Exam
Workbook assessments covering:
- Reflective Practice
- Further Independent Study
- Classroom Competency
- Workplace Competency on all Subjects
- Final Theory Examination – Pass/Fail
Any person who does not complete all requirements of the portfolio prior to submission date will automatically fail the programme. This includes not attending any of the classroom sessions but excludes workplace competencies which remain the responsibility of the employer (Abuka can assist with workplace competencies where required).
Successful completion of this training course will result in the award of a CPD accredited certificate covering all aspects of the above course contents.