Dementia Awareness (Virtual Reality Experience)
This half-day course is both theoretical and practical in nature and explores the background, signs and symptoms and emerging practises in dementia care, covering;
- What is dementia?
- Types of dementia
- Statistics and prevalence
- Communication and cognitive challenges
- Nutrition, mobility and hygiene
- Impact on the person and family
- Techniques used to manage the condition
- Supporting family and friends
- Medications used in dementia
- Side effects of medications
- Tailoring the environment
- Planning for the future
Learners will have the opportunity to explore a range of practical tools provided to support the independence of people living with dementia, such as nutritional/eating aids, mobility/stability aids and technological advancements in dementia care.