Dementia Awareness (Half Day)
This half-day course is ideal for those working with people with dementia, whether in care establishments or the community. It gives learners an understanding of many conditions that fall under the dementia umbrella, along with practical examples of how to help create a dementia-friendly environment and person-centred care and support.
- Dementia statistics
- What is dementia?
- What is not dementia?
- Signs and symptoms
- The brain and what it does
- Types of dementia and their causes
- Vascular dementia
- Fronto-temporal lobe dementia
- Condition-related dementia
- Other conditions inc. Korsakoff ’s syndrome
- Understanding the effects on the person
- What sort of care worker should I be?
- Dignity and respect ‘Unusual’ behaviours
- Person Centred Care – seeing the person behind the condition
- Dementia friendly environments and equipment